Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day

So, tomorrow is Valentine's Day. I used to really, really hate this holiday. As a single lady (do you hear Beyonce in your head when you read that phrase? I do) I used to hate being the only one in the office who didn't get flowers on Valentine's day. When I was in school, I never got those carnations that they used to sell (do they still do that in high school?) And I used to just be miserable, bemoaning the fact that I didn't have a boyfriend. But I think the fact that the only time I got a Valentine's gift I had to give the guy the money to go buy for me it sort of put a pale on the whole thing. Maybe someday I'll meet a guy who can afford to buy me something nice, I certainly wouldn't turn it down, but if not, I'm okay with that too. I guess I've entered into a sort of truce with this holiday. It exists but I don't have to let it affect me. Now, I say that this year, let's hope that's where I stay.

Thankfully, I don't need a holiday to know that I am loved. I have two brothers who are wonderful in their unique ways. Certainly in the past 5 months since my diagnosis and my treatment, I have felt more loved than I am pretty sure I deserve. I have received gifts, cards, meals, evenings out, calls and so many other things that were expressions of love to me. But the most precious thing I have received over these months has been prayer. When people tell you, "We pray for you every night," and you see the sincerity in their eyes, that is love and that is humbling.

I'm in study of Romans right now, in it is the most powerful truth about love. Romans 5:8 says, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." That's a love that isn't based off how popular I am or how pretty I am or how successful I am. Here is a holy and perfect God not forgetting we're a sinful mess but sending Christ to die to take care of our sinful mess. That's love. That's hope. That's joy. That's peace. That's better than any box of chocolates, roses, or Valentine I could ever get.

No comments:

Post a Comment