Sunday, September 13, 2009

Check this out...

So last night I played the Open Mic at the Daily Grind here in Stafford. I went mostly because I wanted one of my 11 year old students to play. That all went pretty well. Boy, are my vocal and playing chops rusty.... that's all I will say about that. And I felt a little foolish being the only person over 20 who played, but that's all good. All the kids who played did well, but I got two treats. The first was a pair of sisters, Emily and Anna Weisband. Great voices, great harmonies, they write a lot of their own music. Emily is definitely comfortable on stage, Anna seems a little less so. They did a their own unique arrangement of "The Way You Look Tonight," that Anna sang lead on. I LOVED IT. These young girls may be really something someday... check them out on myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/emilyannamusic

The other was Kevin McVey, one of my former tech kids from church, brilliant kid...literally. He played some techno music using a game boy and some other kids toys that he rewired. Amazing stuff. Never seen anything like it, so unique and so Kevin. The best part was watching this kid that I knew as a pretty shy and reserved person rock out to his own music that he had written using things that he'd put together with his own hands. Pretty cool if I have to say myself.

So keep your eyes out for these kids. Check them out if you get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment