Monday, April 19, 2010

Is it coming true?

I ordered what might be my social demise. Netflix can now be streamed wirelessly to the Wii. It's amazing, all you do is put in the disc and instantly you have access to hundreds, probably thousands of movies. So, I don't really have to leave my house again.

I used to teach middle school English. Since I received this disc in the mail, I have been thinking about a story I taught my students. I can't remember the author. It was a science fiction piece, so it's likely it was Arthur C Clarke or Ray Bradbury or Issac Asimov. I really, really wish I could remember the title of it. The story was about how technology had gotten to the point where people never had to leave their houses for anything and they didn't interact with anyone else.

Hmmm...have we gotten there?

1 comment:

  1. Fahrenheit 451


    Somewhere the saving and putting away had to begin again and someone had to do the saving and keeping, one way or another, in books, in records, in people's heads, any way at all so long as it was safe, free from moths, silver-fish, rust and dry-rot, and men with matches.Fahrenheit 451 (1953) by Ray Bradbury, a novel based on the short story "The Fireman" (originally published in Galaxy Science Fiction Vol. 1 No. 5 in February 1951), follows the exploits and self-examination of fireman Guy Montag in a dystopic society where books are banned, and firemen create fires, rather than put them out, in order to protect society from the dangers of reading.

    FAHRENHEIT 451: The temperature at which book paper catches fire and burns.

    ReplyDelete