Monday, May 11, 2009

Go ahead and call me a nerd

I went to see the new Star Trek movie yesterday in IMAX. Here's my recommendation: run, don't walk to the closest theater to see this movie!

I have enjoyed Star Trek most of my life. I'm not a Trekkie or even a fan really. I can't tell you any minute details about this series or that series, I don't own any memorabilia, I have to think really hard to tell the difference between a Romulan and a Klingon and a Ferengi. But like most Americans I know who Kirk, Spock, Uhura, Chechov and the rest of the crew are. I know the catch phrases and the quirks of their characters. It is completely obvious in this film that JJ Abrams is a fan and knows all those things too, but he helps us understand where all those things come from in this movie. His casting was perfect. Chris Pine as Kirk shows he can handle big shoes, Zachary Quinto as Spock is completely engaging and as complicated as ever. I have to say that I think Simon Pegg as Scotty was my favorite though. The writing is face paced and witty. The acting is really acting, not just action with a little acting thrown in for good measure. The special effects were clean and clear. And seeing it in IMAX, even from the second row made it even better.

Sequels and remakes are always risky, you have the opportunity to reignite our imaginations or squelch them. I think that Abrams found the right balance of old and new in order to reignite the imaginations of fanatics, fans and novices. It's fun and funny and with an engaging story line and characters that you really like.

I went to this movie with my friend Andew, he is a true Star Trek fan, (I think he can speak Klingon) my friend Kate was there as well, she has never seen any Star Trek at all (how is that possible I wonder) and BOTH of them loved it. This IS going to be the summer movie to beat. I won't foolishly hope for the academy to notice, but the box office will prove this movies worth this summer.

1 comment:

  1. I love Simon Pegg and still have not seen this movie. I'm a big fan of the tv show but need to catch up on the movie buzz.

    ReplyDelete